Wednesday 18 March 2015

Cuppa & Cake with Sylvan Tiger Yarn

Recently, I had a wee chat with Katie of Sylvan Tiger Yarn about her beautiful range of wooly goodness.  

I first heard of Sylvan Tiger Yarn when I was sent a beautiful parcel from the Golden Skein club, and couldn't wait to knit with it.  They became the Ithunn socks, and I just had to find out more about where this lovely yarn was born.







How long have you been dyeing yarn for, and what prompted you to begin selling your beautiful creations?

Well, I started researching and experimenting with natural dyes a couple of years ago, and opened my Etsy shop in December 2013.  People were admiring my yarns and the house was getting rather full of wool so I decided I ought to try and sell some of it!
I have a couple of confirmed shows in the diary - Wharfe Wool Fair on 9 May in Otley, near Leeds and Armley Mills Wool Fair on 6 June at Armley Mills Industrial Museum in Leeds.  I've also applied for Yarndale again, fingers crossed. I'm also dyeing up a big box of lovely British Alpaca yarn for County Alpacas, they'll have it on their stall at various shows throughout the year and I've just started dyeing up a bunch of fibre for Adelaide Walker, they'll have it for sale on their website very soon.  There's another little project with The Nude Ewe in the pipeline too, a range of Norfolk Horn yarn produced from a single conservation flock.  I'm test dyeing some samples at the moment and it's looking very promising, watch this space...


Your etsy shop is beautiful, what inspires your colours?

Thank you (blushes!) I love bright jewel colours, especially purple. Inspiration comes from all around really, the landscapes of the Yorkshire Dales, the Moors and the Lake District.  Even just random combinations such as paint splodges on a windowsill or lichens on a tree.  Sometimes from the dyes themselves too.  The natural dyes are sensitive to different minerals so adding things like iron or citric acid will change the colour, I like to experiment, a bit like a mad scientist at times!


When you're not busy making lovely yarn, what can we find you doing?

My day job is for the local City Council's Music section, we programme classical music events at venues around the city. I also play flute (or sometimes cello) in a local amateur orchestra and a wind quintet.  I love reading too and getting out and about in the fresh air.  I've just heard that the first lambs have been born at the City's rare breed farm so I'm looking forward to going lamb-gazing soon!


Do you get the chance to knit yourself, and what's your favourite knitted item?


I try!  I love knitting socks, I always have a pair on the go as travel/TV knitting. I love lace shawls too, I'm currently knitting a lace scarf for my Mother in Law, it's her Christmas present (Christmas 2014!) so I'm really trying to make some progress on it.  Then, I'll be able to cast on for your Ithunn socks as samples for my stalls at wool fairs this year.

Do you have any exciting news / events coming up this year?

I have a couple of confirmed shows in the diary - Wharfe Wool Fair on 9 May in Otley, near Leeds and Armley Mills Wool Fair on 6 June at Armley Mills Industrial Museum in Leeds.  I've also applied for Yarndale again, fingers crossed. I'm also dyeing up a big box of lovely British Alpaca yarn for County Alpacas, they'll have it on their stall at various shows throughout the year and I've just started dyeing up a bunch of fibre for Adelaide Walker, they'll have it for sale on their website very soon.  There's another little project with The Nude Ewe in the pipeline too, a range of Norfolk Horn yarn produced from a single conservation flock.  I'm test dyeing some samples at the moment and it's looking very promising, watch this space...



I might just have to go to Yarndale this year after all :p  If you can't wait that long, you can nosey at the yummy yarn over here



Also, the giveaway is still ongoing (until the end of March) for a copy of the Fearlas Mor pattern & skein of yarn! 




1 comment:

  1. Every single question is answered in great dept with full honesty, liked that talent and passion which everyone should pursue, love that interview

    ReplyDelete




Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...